Monday, September 20, 2010

September 13-September 17

Perhaps I’m the only one thinking this, but I feel like over the past few weeks of class discussions and blog postings we have officially exhausted all possible avenues of discussion for both All the King’s Men and the choice books.  I have no interest in debating Jack’s Great Twitch and Spider web theories, nor am I inclined to explain how Tennessee Williams develops Blanche’s internal conflict of reality versus illusion.  As a result, I will attempt to explain my “Philosophy on Life”-such a powerful and ominous term for something I guess I’ve never really thought about before.  As we live in an imperfect world, I believe the main “objective” (not sure if that’s the correct word) is to work towards altering the world for the better.  However, doing this is much easier said than done.  I suppose I’ll start from the beginning, as most logical things do.  So everyone is born somewhere, be it North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, etc. and I guess it’s really just luck of the draw as to where your born, the wealth of your family, your physical characteristics, etc.  Your early life is unimportant (sorry for all of you who enjoy reminiscing early childhood memories) and its not till late-middle school and high school that things begin to become significant.  At this point in time, it is necessary to “play the system.”  In my mind, the system is society’s standards and moral values by which they judge people and place them into two main categories.  The first category, considered higher and more prestigious, is made up of “the people who know why.”  The second category, still respected yet not as powerful, is made up of “the people who know how.”  The rigid rule of life is that the people who know how will always work for the people who know why.  Ok, now getting back to my chronogical sequence-you begin playing the system and fitting into society’s standards of excellence in order to make it into a prestigious college, get a good degree, and go out into the world and make bank (aka money).  In simpler terms, you become the person that knows why.  With the “knowledge of why” that you obtain by both following and succeeding by society’s rules, you gain both power and influence.  With this power and influence, you can then begin to control of group of people that know how.  Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to paint a picture of an evil overlord surrounded by minions eager to do his bidding.  Rather, you gain respect of people who are skilled at various trades and know the best and most efficient methods.  In my opinion, this entire process will most likely take at least 40-50 years but in the end you can be a person of prestige and powerful influence who can change the world for the better.  I’d like to think that the Howard Roarks of the world are the ones who have the most influence, but it’s evident that the Peter Keatings are the ones running the big time companies and holding political office.              

No comments:

Post a Comment