Monday, December 6, 2010

The Many Forms of Irony

I was reading the section of Perrine's for our homework tonight (337-351 for those of you who forgot) and stumbled across the story "The Drunkard" by Frank O'Connor.  Reading though this short story, I noticed quite a bit of irony and humor.  First, I thought it was humorous when the narrator described that "...Mr. Dooley must reappear at out gate to give us the low-down on the next world." (343).  Soon after, I found some situational irony.  The narrator begins to describe how his father was very upset following the death of his close friend Mr. Dooley.  Although one would expect this to be because the father was attached to Mr. Dooley and they were close companions, the narrator actually says that it's because there was "...no one left to tell him what dirty work was behind the latest scene at the Corporation." (343).  I found it also ironic towards the bottom of page 344 when although the father claims to be looking after Larry, it is actually Larry who is acting as a "brake" and taking care of his father.  One would think that the parent would be the caretaker.  The funeral, on page 345, is described using situational irony as well.  Very rarely does one hear a funeral described as sunny, fine, or even pleasant.  Also, the father is described as "hopping like a goat from grassy hump to hump" (345).  On the following page, when father confirms the ending of the funeral, he "trumpets" and does so "in the tone of one who brings great rejoicing."  One would expect a funeral to be a near opposite to all of these things, therefore creating an instance of situational irony.  Dramatic irony can be found on page 347, when the narrator is shocked at how foul the beer tastes and assumes that his father has never tried alcohol.  We, as the audience, know that consuming alcoholic beverages can be more of an acquired taste (know, not saying anything about experience) yet the narrator does not.  Situational irony (and humor as well) can be found in the situation where the father is trying to lead his son outside while trying to protect his new suit at the same time.  One would think that he would be worried about the health of his son, but that seems to come second to the condition of the suit he is wearing.  On page 349, the line "I never met two men who knew less about the effects of drink" is humorous as well, and ironic considering his father is a notorious drunkard.  On page 350 it is humorous how the tables have turned.  The narrator was suppossed to keep his father from getting drunk and acting inappropriately, yet now it is the father who is trying to take care of and hush up the son.  Finally, I find it ironic how the father is whining in self-pity at the end of the story, complaining about how his day was ruined.  He seems selfish, not even concerned very much about the health of his son.    

1 comment:

  1. Yep, an alcoholic who has never tasted alcohol, that is irony. Just kidding, I think you meant Lemonade. Anyway, I really liked the ending of this story and your right it was just littered with irony all over the place. I wonder if it was the author's intention to make it so ironic for the purpose of an example or if it was not so direct a purpose. One other example of irony was at the end when his mother was actually happy that the son had drunk the beer and gotten sick. Ironic that by drinking alcohol, an alcoholic was saved. (Sadly, the boy grew up to be an alcoholic and had to have his son do the same thing for him, creating a vicious cycle...)

    ReplyDelete