Monday, April 25, 2011
Almost There
Since we've basically just been reviewing in class I don't really have much to discuss on here. I could talk about how I'm preparing for the AP exam outside of class, but unfortunately that has yet to happen. I was hoping that a poor score on the practice test would serve as a wake up call and motivate me to study more for the real exam. However, the solid score that I received has given me new and improved excuses for procrastination. I guess I'm the only person disappointed in receiving a good score on the practice test. Nevertheless, the practice test keyed me in to the areas that I need to study more in depth once I actually decide to begin preparing. With multiple choice, it was either a hit or miss. On a good day (the practice test was one of those days) I'm pretty confident in understanding the passages and manage to only miss 1-2 per passage. However, off days prove to result in catastrophe. I might do some more practice passages to try to become more consistent in order to avoid a repeat of what happened on the AP Lang exam last year. The essay section, though, is where I think I can improve the most. The good thing is that my essay scores were fairly consistent across all three questions so instead of having to really focus and apply myself on one particular question I can put just a bit more thought into each of the three to dramatically increase my score. On the last question, in particular, I thought that Ms. Marcy was particularly generous. I really don't think that Gatsby-Nick is one of the better choices for a mentor relationship out of all the works we've read. Even after selecting such a weak relationship, I have to admit that my support lacked a clear focus and was just overall abysmal. Yet, somehow, my grade on that essay was acceptable. Unless I inadvertently managed to provide a strong defense for my arguments, I'd say that the last essay isn't graded as harshly as the other two. However, I will definitely prepare much more for this question before the actual exam. The small group discussions that we had in class definitely helped, and I think that with just a bit more preparation outside of class I will be able to apply any of my chosen works to an appropriate question. Well, that's really all I have to discuss on here. I do intend to start studying soon, but with the NHL playoffs going on I've been pretty short for time. After my score on the practice exam, I think I can afford to procrastinate at least until Wednesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
haha I agree with much that is said here and there are many things that also apply to me. I am ussually much stronger on the multiple choice than the essays espessially last year in lang where i would get 4s and 5s on the essays and still get a four on the practice exam. This year however it has kindof reversed as my essay scores have inproved dramatically and some of the multiple choice practice we have done in class has gotten ugly. I think i did pretty well on both this year thoug so im hoping for a five.
ReplyDelete