Monday, January 10, 2011

SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW and ap lit blog

The amount of snow today was amazing, since I usually only see that much snow when I go to Colorado for Spring Break.  However, I sort of knew that we would get that much since everyone had predicted similar amounts.  Unlike the snow though (transitioning into my actual blog post now) I have to say that I can't seem to predict the plot of King Lear.  So far, it seems like the plot can really go in any direction.  King Lear may be arrogant, but I wouldn't describe him as power-hungry since he's decided to divide up his kingdom into equal pieces.  I think if he were corrupt, he would hold on to his position as King for as long as possible.  Edmund, in a similar way, couldn't be described as being entirely evil.  Based on what we've seen, Edmund is frequently criticized and made fun of for his "illegitimate birth."  The question is, does this justify his plotting to eliminate his brother?  From what we've seen so far, Edgar seems to treat Edmund fairly so I'd have to say no.  However, we could end up learning more about their childhood that would make Edgar seem not as noble.  The other characters, though, seem much more straightfoward in their moral appearances.  For example, it is pretty clear that the two older sisters are malicious and deceitful.  The younger sister, on the other hand, is true and honest when expressing her love for her father.  It is unfortunate that her father is narrow-minded and oblivious to the fact that this younger sister is the one that loves him the most out of all of them.  Another character that seems to be pretty easy to identify is the Earl of Kent, the one that stands up for Cordelia when her father disowns her.  I'm not sure if he will appear in the play again, but he can easily be characterized as brave and understanding.  One thing that I like about our study with this play is that we're using the audio tape.  It's good to learn new works a variety of different ways, and so far we've mainly been just reading them in class.  I think the audio tape is beneficial for many different reasons, but the main reason is (let's be honest here) that the accents are awesome.  It helps alot with my image of the scene, as I can clearly picture the curly moustache when the French guy talks.  Also, it's easier to tell when characters are mad since their tone of voice changes drastically.  Since we haven't read very far into the play, that's really all I can comment on so far.  Trying to discern themes, motifs, and symbols would be pretty difficult at this point, so I think I'll just save that for my next blog post.       

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I like how you manage to tie in the weather to your blog. Quite skillful if I might say so. In any case, like normal, I agree with you about the plot of King Lear. While I like it already, it really could go in any direction. I also can't understand the blind hatred that Edmund has for Edgar. He hates him simply because he exists, and I fear something...bad will happen to him. Of course, he falls easily for Edmund's trap, like an amateur. Hopefully he doesn't fail too bad.

    ReplyDelete